Friday, June 20, 2008

Playstation 3 First Take

Well, I finally got to replace my stolen TV. I got a nice bundle from Best Buy for the Sony KDL-40XBR4 (only $1499) and decided to pick up a PS3. Just doing that got me $50 off of the PS3 and the TV, with 3 blu-ray movies thrown in. I'm hoping that there are going to be some great games for this system. But at least I have another HD movie player.

OK. Now for my first impressions with the PS3. Setup is a breeze with this system. I know some people had difficulty setting up the 360 (not in my case), but after entering all my personal info. I got the updates done and the system was up in running. I had no networking problems, and it found media on my computer automatically (a lot easier than the Media Center Extension on 360). Even though I still like the larger Xbox controllers (I have big hands), the controller is kind of nice. But I'm not too keen on the non-replaceable battery (I see this as a problem later on).

One thing that I did notice is that the download speed is considerably slower on the PS3 than the Xbox 360. I downloaded the demo for NCAA Football 09 on the PS3 then the 360. The PS3 took about 3 times as long to download. Then after I wait the extra time for that, I had to wait for the demo to install!!!! Are you kidding me!! To let you know the time difference, while it was installing on the PS3, I downloaded it on the 360 and started playing before it was finished. I hope this was just a bug or something, cause that's ridiculous.

Both games looked outstanding by the way. I'll let you know more about my experience later.

2 comments:

Mike.com said...

Nice choice on the XBR4. I have its cousin. We're holding out until Christmas sales to get a Blu-ray player. I'm not much of a gamer, so spending $400 on a PS3 seems a bit excessive.

Malcolm said...

I actually got the TV for $1449 and the PS3 for $349 at Best Buy. They have a sony program with a price drop with blu-ray. The TV is a $1000 price drop in store before the extra $100.