Friday, March 27, 2009

Microsoft Hits Apple Back With Effective Ad



I have to give it to Microsoft for this commercial, simply because of the timing of it. Given the fact that they have been beaten down over the last few years with the “I’m a Mac, and I’m a PC” campaign, Microsoft has gone after the only soft spot that Apple has……. Pricing!

In this ad, they have a very “I’m a Mac” artsy looking girl named Lauren who’s looking for a 17 inch laptop for under $1000. Her first stop is at an Apple store, but she’s unable to find it what she needs at the price point that she’s looking for. The commercial brilliantly casts Apple Mac heads as elitist with the subtle but clever quip of “I’m just not cool enough to be a Mac person,” The next stop is at a big box store where she finds a 17 inch HP laptop with all the specs that she’s looking for all for the low price of $699.

Now I know that fanboys in both camps will flame on about this ad, be it right or wrong. But I think that with the “I’m a Mac, and I’m a PC” campaign that Apple has had for the last few years, Apple as given the image that it is “Cool” to own a Mac. I just find in ironic that given these hard economic times that the same image might now be perceived as frivolous.

Would I like a Mac? Sure!!!

Can I afford one that will give me good performance (17’’ Dual Core)???????

Well, that’s another story.

[Techcrunch]

No comments: