Sunday, April 6, 2008

Browser Comparison - Part 1

Every once in a while, almost every geek asks another geek, "What browser do you use?". I have changed browser preference quite often. So I decided to give the newest offerings for the big 3 browsers a try. I have been trying out Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3 Beta 5 and Apple Safari. Now I usually end up using Internet Explorer most of the time, because it seems to be the one that meets my needs without having to download a bunch of add-ins just to make it meet my needs. But in trying all of them out, I have realized that if you could combine features of all 3 it would make a great browser. Today I'm going to discuss the Bookmark/Favorites feature.

I'm not like everyone, I like my bookmarks to be stationed in a tree form on the side of my browser since my laptop and my monitor are both widescreen, so I have the real estate to keep it posted. Even without a widescreen, I still like it to appear there, instead of a pull down menu. That's just my preference. That being said, I really didn't like the feature in Safari. When you view all the bookmarks, they appear on the left side with the folders that they are in, but when you click on a folder, the main page is where you see all your bookmark addresses. I just don't like having to navigate all the way away from the page I'm looking at to look at bookmarks.

Now as for Firefox and Internet Explorer, they both offer an easy way to see your bookmarks in a tree format on the side bar. They both seem to be very customizable, and but I like the way that Internet Explorer also adds a tab for RSS feeds. In IE, the feed actually appears with one icon and you click it like a regular bookmark, Safari does this also, but just not in the side bar. With Firefox, the RSS feed appears as a tree and you can only click on the individual feed story and view it. I don't like this...not one bit...it's not saving me any time. Plus there's no way to view the entire RSS feed by clicking on the bookmark for the web feed, but I'll get more into that in part two.

Here are some pics of what I'm talking about.




No comments: