Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Tilt- My dream phone

As you might recall, I was very excited for the release of the AT&T Tilt. I placed an order on the day that it became available on my Premiere site and it was delivered on Monday. And I couldn’t be happier. I’d give a full review, but I don’t want to take up the entire blog again. But here is a quick list:

Positives:
- Solid machine build. It’s heavy, but it’s important with how it’s built
- All the connection options- Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi, UMTS/HSPDA
- CPU Speed- Applications load up quickly, efficiently
- Reception. It gets much better signal than my old 3125, especially at my office. On the 3125 I would be connected to the GSM network, not Edge. This phone is continually connected to the 3G.
- Keyboard- Well lit, good responsiveness.
- Display- Vibrant colors, good brightness and depth. Displaying pictures and videos look great
- HTC Addins. As the manufacturer, they put in some great plugins for free. One that lets you control key aspects (including all connections) from the homescreen. Very simple.


Negatives:
- First and foremost, AT&T 3G. I could not be more disappointed with the overall speed of it. Ugh.
- The built in Messaging. It’s great that its AOL, MSN, and Yahoo!. But it can’t be done over Wireless. What the hell is that? Especially painful with the 3G speeds are below average
- AT&T bloat. Eventually I will blow this thing away and put on the standard HTC Kaiser ROM.
- The Camera. I rarely use it, so not a big deal. But I could not be less impressed with a 3 MP camera.

Overall, the phone is highly impressive. It is the single greatest phone I have ever purchased. I couldn’t recommend this phone anymore for someone who wants a fully functional PDA. 2 other notes of free software I recommend: Google Maps (which works very well, automatically discovers the GPS chip, and doesn’t make you pay $10 a month like Telenav) and Mini Opera browser beta 2, which is much faster than the pocket IE.

5 Stars!

4 comments:

Nelson said...

I have to say that it sounds very impressive. Of all the negatives that you posted, I didn't think that the 3G would be one of them. I didn't think AT&T had a crappy 3G network, but I shouldn't be surprised. Unlike the iphone this thing has all the features that I would love to have in a phone, GPS, 3G, and no one bricking it if you put third party software on it. I'm curious how well it plays with Vista.

Nice review!!! Can't wait to check it out.

Matthew Carstensen said...

It actually syncs up very nicely with Vista and works seamlessly. That was a nice addition as I didn't expect it!

Nelson said...

Something works well with Vista? WTF!!!

I think I need to check this phone out asap.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Nelson!

Compatability wise, Vista is the Windows Me of the decade.