Saturday, October 6, 2007

Mother Told To Pay RIAA $220,000: WTF?


Jammie Thomas, the woman who lost her case against the RIAA was ordered to pay $220,000 for downloading 24 songs. The Minnesota woman said that the U.S. copyright laws are unjust and that the cost of proving her innocence was almost impossible. Check the quote:

"It says in the Constitution that there should be no undue fines, I was just fined (9,000 percent more) than the value of these songs." She goes on to say "I was basically forced into a situation where I had to prove a negative. How do you prove that your IP address was spoofed or hacked. If I could afford an FBI analyst I'm sure it could have been proven. But I don't have the money."

Thomas rejected the typical settlement of few thousand dollars and chose to defend herself, and she strongly denies sharing music files. But 12 jurors felt differently and ordered her to pay $9,250 for each of the 24 songs she's accused of downloading.

She is still deciding whether to file an appeal. I would think yes!!!

Does the punishment of $220,000 fit the crime of donwloading 24 songs? I think not!!! Regardless if she's guilty of file sharing, I don't believe that a mother of two should be brought to financial ruin over 24 songs. How the 12 morons on this case came to this conclusion is beyond me, but I hope that somewhere in their lives, they are judged just as harshly.

[Crave]

No comments: